Devine Millimet’s trial lawyers are renowned for their excellence in and out of the courtroom. Our trial lawyers today reflect the highest levels of courtroom skill and professionalism of our predecessors, many of whom serve today as state and federal trial court and appellate judges and several are fellows of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.
Our Litigation Department tries cases and believes that the best litigation results -- whether achieved in court or across a bargaining table -- happen when lawyers are prepared to try a case if necessary. This trial-ready approach throughout the firm’s history has allowed us to achieve excellent results for our clients.
We represent plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts throughout New England and in other regions of the country as well. We also handle arbitration and mediation matters and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Our clients include business, professional, educational and charitable institutions as well as individuals. Our trial lawyers are also experienced appellate advocates. We appear regularly before state and federal appellate courts and have argued before the United States Supreme Court.
- We successfully defeated a shareholder lawsuit seeking to enjoin a $75,000,000 merger between our client and a publicly traded company;
- We successfully resolved a property tax dispute involving a New Hampshire municipality and a large New Hampshire medical center;
- We obtained injunctive relief on behalf of our client, a major apparel manufacturer, against a French company to prevent it from infringing the trademarks of our client;
- We successfully resolved the dissolution of a consummated merger between two major hospitals, including the successful litigation of our client's entitlement to continue to operate its cardiac program;
- We obtained a defendant's verdict for our client following a trial in a successor liability action;
- We successfully defended our client, a publicly traded company, in a trial in federal court which resulted, after several days, in a nuisance value settlement following the plaintiff's demand of $1,000,000;
- We represented a major tobacco manufacturer in the State of New Hampshire's lawsuit against tobacco manufacturers and distributors, and entered into a settlement with the Attorney General's Office on its behalf;
- We represented a Canadian paper company seeking to purchase paper mills in Northern New Hampshire, negotiating a covenant not to sue, environmental compliance agreements with the Attorney General's Office and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and an eminent domain taking of contaminated land with the Attorney General's Office;
- We represented the Roman Catholic Diocese of New Hampshire in an investigation directed at it by the State of New Hampshire, and negotiated a settlement with the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office on its behalf;
- We successfully represented a manufacturer in a federal court action in which the First Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the granting of summary judgment to the defendant's sister corporations who the plaintiff alleged were alter egos under ERISA and federal labor laws and from whom they sought health, welfare and retirement fund contributions for work performed by employees of nonunion subcontractors;
- We obtained on behalf of a regional airport a comprehensive consent decree protecting the airport's ability to control its flight operations;
- We successfully represented numerous municipalities, corporations and individuals in a dispute with a large landfill remediation firm, in federal court, related to the remediation firm's work to cap a landfill site in Southern New Hampshire;
- We successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of our client in an employment discrimination case which was affirmed by the First Circuit Court of Appeals;
- We obtained dismissal of all claims on behalf of our client in a whistleblower case; and
- In a contested divorce case, we prevailed on behalf of our client including client's award of primary physical custody, the family home, business, real estate and an award of the client's business.
Devine Millimet's success over the last 50 years is due to its trial oriented approach because the firm has well-trained, seasoned trial lawyers who are as prepared for the courtroom as they are for complex settlement negotiations or discussions of litigation strategy. We welcome the opportunity to work with you.