The members of the Devine Millimet Mergers & Acquisitions Law Team are widely recognized as leaders in their field. A decision to buy or sell a business is substantial and carries with it significant risks for the unwary and great opportunity for the business savvy. The value of legal advisors who understand the M&A world cannot be overstated.
But how do we define value?
At Devine Millimet, we define value through our extensive transactional involvement and understanding that only comes from experience - knowing when to advise a client to close a deal or when to walk away. Our philosophy is to always strive to meet each client’s individual needs and to exceed expectations during every stage of the transaction. We have advised clients concerning international, national, regional, and local transactions.
Our team really is a team, consisting of talented lawyers from multiple disciplines working together to provide our clients with practical and creative solutions throughout the entire transaction.
Whether you are buying or selling on Main Street, Wall Street or any place in between, our team has the knowledge and experience to assist you in achieving your desired goals and objectives.
Our attorneys are involved in all aspects of mergers & acquisitions and include the following types of transactions:
- Asset purchases and sales, and stock purchases and sales
- Mergers and consolidations
- Divestitures, split-ups, and spin-offs
- Buyouts, redemptions, liquidations, and reorganization transactions
- ESOP structuring and acquisitions
- Leveraged acquisitions and related acquisition financings
- Strategic affiliations, collaborations and joint ventures
- Private equity investments and related transactions
Attorneys in our Mergers & Acquisitions Team work collaboratively with attorneys in other service areas at Devine Millimet to find practical, creative solutions to challenges related to your goals and overall deal strategy.
Federal and State Tax Planning
Our Federal and State Tax service area assists in analyzing the federal and state tax effects resulting from a proposed transaction.
Our Labor, Employment and Employee Benefits service area advises our M&A clients on the entire spectrum of employment-related issues, including employee benefits and ERISA matters, 409A issues, non-compete agreements and other restrictive covenants.
Intellectual Property Matters
Our Intellectual Property service area assists our M&A clients with intellectual property ownership and licensing issues, including intellectual property due diligence and audits and transfers of intellectual property rights.
Tax Exempt Entities
Our Charitable & Non-profit Organizations service area assists with merging non-profit entities as well as issues related to acquiring, maintaining and defending the tax exempt status of non-profit, tax exempt organizations.
Real Estate and Environmental Matters
Our Real Estate and Environmental service areas assist our M&A clients with issues such as environmental due diligence and federal, state and local regulatory and zoning compliance.
Estate Tax Planning
Our Estate & Succession service area assists our M&A clients with the unique tax aspects of federal and state estate and gift tax planning and compliance.
Some of the transactions with which we have recently been involved, include:
National and International
- The sale of a major defense contractor to a publicly-traded leading provider of high technology products and systems.
- The sale of a division of an ESOP-owned international textile manufacturing and processing company.
- An acquisition of a division of a publicly-traded company by a regional high technology company.
- The joint venture between a regional e-waste recovery and recycling business and an India-based company.
- The sale of a majority ownership interest in an equipment leasing and financing company to a publicly-traded private equity firm.
- The acquisition by a national telecommunications company of all land lines and other related assets of a large multi-national telecommunications company.
- The acquisition of a California-based financial lender by a publicly-traded financial institution in Mexico.
- The sale of a New Hampshire-based auto parts distributor with 12 locations to a regional auto parts distributor.
- The sale of a multi-state fast food restaurant chain.
- The sale of a regional plastics extrusion manufacturer.
- The sale of a regional oil distribution company and its over 30 retail locations to a New England- based petroleum marketing distribution company.
- The sale of a manufacturer of ceramic circuits and resistive chip devices.
- The sale of the largest regional distributor of beauty supply products to a publicly traded professional beauty product manufacturer and distributor.
- The sale of a regional staffing company and its subsidiaries.
- Numerous affiliations of regional health care providers with for-profit and non-profit integrated health care delivery systems.
- The sale of a provider of bar code and RFID identification systems.
- The acquisition of a retail bicycle shop that had been owned and operated by a local family for more than 100 years.
- The purchase and sale of numerous local restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, and family-owned businesses.
- The acquisition of a New Hampshire-based candle manufacturer by a private equity firm.
- The merger of four tax-exempt community based non-profit organizations.
- The acquisition of a New Hampshire subsidiary of a telecommunications company.
- An ESOP purchase of a 100% ownership interest in a New Hampshire-based bridge building company.
- The sale of a New Hampshire-based liberal arts college to a publicly-traded for-profit company.
- The spin-off of a tax-exempt public broadcasting station.
- The integration of a private accredited law school with a state university system.
- The sale of an iconic family-owned local grocery store.
In addition to these representative transactions, the attorneys in the Mergers & Acquisitions Team have assisted business owners and entrepreneurs purchase and sell numerous dental, medical, veterinary and other professional practices, software companies, restaurants, grocery and convenience stores and many other varying types of businesses that are an active part of the regional and local economy.